, ,

I did it! Ok, so I cheated. Last weekend was actually my first attempt to make this bread but it was foiled by my inattention to detail. Last night, I tried again and it worked!

First, I gathered the troops. For this recipe you need:

★ 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
★ 1 Cup Bread Flour
★ 2 Tbsp Cornmeal
★ 1 Packet (or 2.25 tsp) Dry Yeast
★ 1/4 Cup Wheat Germ
★ 1 Tbsp Dark Molasses
★ 1/4 Cup Honey
★ 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
★ 1 tsp Salt
★ 1/3 Cup Sunflower Seeds
★ Cooking Spray

You start off with yeast!

And this is where I went wrong last weekend. Yes, with the first step. You see that measuring spoon there? The one marked “T”? Well, I was supposed to use the one marked “t” for the yeast. Somehow my brain lead to me using 1 tbsp of yeast instead of 2.25 tsps, all things remaining the same. From then on, nothing worked out.

The directions had me mix the 2.25 tsps of yeast with 1 cup of “warm” water (btwn 100 & 110 degrees). I got this part right!

That’s right, I used the thermometer out of our medicine cabinet. Guess I have something i need to add to my kitchen instruments!

Once I dissolved the yeast in the water I let it sit for five minutes. This should look like beige water with some bubbles on top. The next step is to mix in two cups of whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup honey, 2 tbsps vegetable oil, 1 tbsp dark molasses and one tsp salt. Mix this together and it should resemble a wet stirrable bready mixture. I covered up my bowl with a towel and let it sit and think for an hour. Once the hour was up I uncovered it and discovered a lovely bubbly spongey creation (the first time I did this I could not describe it as a sponge and was confused as to why the recipe did so).

Should NOT look like this:

Next I added 1 cup of bread flour, 1/4 cup wheat germ, 2 tbsps cornmeal and stirred. The end result should be nice and doughy…not dry and un-wieldly, which is what I experienced the first time. I then took the dough out of the bowl and kneaded it for 8 minutes. It is VERY difficult to over-knead by hand. FYI. So, don’t worry about it, like I did the first time. At the end, I kneaded in the 1/3 cup of yummy raw organic sunflower seeds. Below is a comparison of the first time I did it (wrong) and what I did last night:

last weekend:

last night:

HUGE difference! So, I put my lovely smooth ball of dough & seeds into a bowl I’d coated with cooking spray and rolled the ball to coat it with the oil and then covered it with the towel again to let it rise for another hour in a warm place around 85 degrees (I used my oven, heated it for a minute or two then turned it off). Last time I did this….I’m PRETTY sure nothing happened. This time, IT WORKED!

So I punched it. And let it mull that over for five minutes.

I then rolled out the dough on a floured cutting board into a 14×7 sheet of dough. Starting on the short end, and rolled it up tightly and did my best to seal the ends. I plopped it into a loaf pan that I sprayed with cooking spray and coated the roll with cooking spray. Then i covered it for its final 45 minute rise.

After it sat it had about doubled in size so I put it into my 375 °oven and baked for 45 more minutes. Took it out of the oven to cool and voila! It worked! Last time the loaf that went into the oven was pretty much the loaf that came out haha. Dense. This time, fluffy lovely tasty BREAD!

Let the sandwiches begin!